Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Review: Elizabeth and James Fall 2008


Holt Renfrew is now carrying the Elizabeth and James Fall 2008 collection. If you don't know anything about the label, it's co-designed by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who also serve as the company's muses.
The label is a mix of masculine and feminine with short blazers, ruffled blouses, slim pants and girl tees. It really reflects a New York City style- very androgynous if you mix up the pieces but can be really girly. I get how it reflects the twins' styles- MK's Downtown look with Ashley's Uptown glamour but I feel that it is more of a uniformed look that tries too hard to look put-together. Separately, the pieces are stunning, but together they look forced and and uninspiring. I feel like I've seen many of these looks before and done better.
(Photos: Holt Renfrew)




2 comments:

sarah b. said...

Hm, I agree.

I think their line (as a whole) is very New York and fairly chic. But I don't see it standing apart (in design) from anything else I'm seeing, even down to retail chain stores.

Their pieces, as seperates looks stunning. Put you're right, together, the entire look looks too... tried.

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the collection. i bought a few of the pieces in NY for Summer and can't wait to see the line at Holt Renfrew. They fit is perfection and it seems like they are using european fabrics which many times contemporary lines just dont do. Thank you Mary-Kate and Ashley its fantastic