Friday, August 15, 2008

Not to keep ripping into FASHION mag but...


It just keeps disappointing me when it comes to their cover stories. A couple weeks ago I blogged about my gripe with the mag's treatment of cover girl Coco Rocha. The girl is a freakin star in the fashion world and she only got two photos.
The Sept. issue is no different. In fact, it's much, much worse. The cover girl is none other than Daria Werbowy, one of the hottest models ever.
The article itself if mediocre; it talks about her reaction to being the second model to get a star on the Canadian Walk of Fame, her makeup collection for Lancome (gotta have an ad placement in there somehow) and her three-month sailing trip which everyone has known about for months.
But that's not what rattles me-what disturbs me is why Canada's premier fashion magazine puts a huge star on their cover, a star who, by the way, is Canadian, and doesn't do a photo spread. There is just one (albeit gorgeous) photo of her in a Prada lace dress and the following page has a bunch of photos from her in previous FASHION issues! And back then at least they gave her spreads. So now that she's a star she doesn't get one.
I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for this: the budget, cuts to the pages, not enough space, etc. Yeah I get it. I've had to cut good material from a newspaper. But to cut down the cover girl? Blasphemy. I expect more from a fashion magazine, especially a September edition.

Update: A reader wanted to know more about the article so here you go!

Daria reveals that she has mixed feelings about being a model. "A lot of the time, I feel like I'm part of the problem when it comes to all the superficiality and vanity that impacts the way girls grow up." But her success makes her want to do other things like her makeup collection for Lancome where some of the profits go towards a non-profit arts school in Rio.
She also talks about how she doesn't feel at home anywhere (born in Poland, raised in Canada, lves in New York.) She hopes to be back in Toronto for the Star ceremony on Sept. 6.

3 comments:

eword said...

please could you tell something more about the interview?

i think i'll link to this page from my blog

eword said...

thanks a lot. i added your blog to the friends' list.

:-)

www.crearpaginaweb.com said...

This can't have effect in reality, that's what I think.