Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Amish can be fashionable too

While I was waiting at the Yorkdale Go Station a couple of days ago, an Amish couple came in and sat down near me. The man was wearing a straw hat and a black suit. The woman was wearing a black bonnet, a long, full black dress with a lace collar that went right up her neck and black sneakers. The all-black, modest look wasn't plain at all, it was actually quite beautiful. I thought it was wonderful seeing this woman without any skin showing (except her face) surrounded by all of these teenage girls in tight, naval-baring shirts and mini skirts. To me, it redefined what it means to be a beautiful and attractive woman. It was her confidence in wearing the clothes that made her beautiful- although I'm sure the clothes are meant not to attract attention. I think it's a great look for the Fall- head-to-toe black, lace, high collars and long sleeves and legs. And hey, if you want to wear a bonnet, that's ok too. Modesty is hot.

Here are some stylish "Amish" looks that I think look amazing:

(Photos: Style.com)

Balmain

Hervé Léger by Max Azria


Roberto Cavalli
Roberto Cavalli


Lanvin

Jil Sander

Charles Nolan

1 comment:

sarah b. said...

I love the takes by Lanvin and Charles Nolan!